July 4th Safety Tips
Fireworks during the Fourth of July are as American as apple-pie, but did you know that two out of five fires reported on that day are started by fireworks, more than for any other cause? So you think it cannot happen to you? Here are a few facts:
In 2013 over 9,000 people went to the emergency room as a result of fireworks related injuries. There was an estimated 15,500 reported fires started by fireworks. These fires resulted in an estimated eight reported deaths, and $36 million in direct property damage. This is why it is a good idea to have a free home insurance review and quote, call us today!
Fireworks Safety Tips
- Buy fireworks only from licensed vendors
- Never combine fireworks
- Obey all local laws
- Never have any portion of your body directly over a firework while lighting
- Follow directions
- Never relight a firework
- Don’t smoke or drink while lighting fireworks
- Soak used fireworks in water before placing in trash
- Make sure there is parental supervision
- Never experiment with homemade fireworks
- Use fireworks outdoors, in a safe area away from dry grass and buildings
- Keep a fire extinguisher, bucket of water, wet towels and a garden hose nearby
- Light one firework at a time - then move back quickly!
- Never shoot fireworks from metal or glass containers
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never point or throw fireworks at people or animals
- Clean up all used fireworks including debris
Enjoy the holiday; we live in a great country, happy birthday America!